December 9, 2014

WJA BOSTON MEMBER SPOTLIGHT : MICHELE MERCALDO

Earlier this fall, the Women's Jewelry Association Boston Chapter had the pleasure of visiting Michele Mercaldo Contemporary Jewelry Design located in Boston's historic South End for our first member feature spotlight.  Michele Mercaldo's gallery displays not only her work, but you will also find fellow artisans that complement her own aesthetic along with perfectly executed seasonal window installations to delight every passerby.  Read below what the designer had to say.

Tell us about yourself.
I am a jewelry artist and metal smith.  I have a studio and gallery in one setting.  I divide my time up between my bench work, speaking with clients, and all of the things that go into keeping the gallery interesting.  I studied fine art at Massachusetts College of Art and have a degree in printmaking and a minor in sculpture.  After graduating, I worked in a variety of mediums before focusing on the jewelry discipline in 1987.  I fell in love with the scale and working with the material.  After 27 years, I am still exploring and refining my idea and my craft.

What inspires you on a daily basis?
All things man made, boats, buildings, and machines inspire me.  My work is best described as modern, clean and architectural. I always make my work by hand so it softens my forms, giving them a human touch. Recently, I have become interested in man made objects that have been left out in nature and the resulting affects that the exposure to the elements has on the forms and surfaces.

Describe your shop aesthetic.
The gallery is classic but modern, artistic but refined.  On display is my work and twelve other designers.  The jewelry on display is all hand made by contemporary jewelers with their own personal approach.  The seasonal window installation and art on display is an ongoing dialogue with the street.  Another venue for me to create on a larger scale, it keeps the gallery evolving and fresh.



In terms of jewelry style, what are you best known for?
Jewelry can hold significant meaning for people as well as marking time, commitment and personal milestones.  I have become well versed in making customized pieces and custom re-settings that fill this need.


What gives you the greatest pleasure in your career as a jewelry designer?
A great pleasure in designing jewelry is when a person puts on your work and it transforms them, enhancing their natural beauty or making them feel more complete.

If you could offer advice to women jewelry professionals, what would it be?
The best advice I can give a jewelry artist is to be persistent and true to your vision.  Developing a strong form language and bench skills takes time.  There is a theory that you have to put in ten thousand hours to get really good at anything.

What do you hope to gain from your membership with the WJA?
I am looking forward to being part of a community of women with similar interests and the support that we can give each in that setting.



Michele Mercaldo
276 Shawmut Ave
Boston, MA 02118
617-350-7909

      www.michelemercaldo.com 

Social Media  
Facebook 
Instagram